Election FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

This FAQs attempts to answer some common question regarding the City of Glendale’s elections and campaign regulations as they relate to the Office of City Council, City Clerk, City Treasurer, School Board and College Board Members. There may be other regulations under State law that are not covered in these answers that candidates or voters may be required to follow. We suggest that you ask questions when something in this section is not clear or if you seek additional information.

Disclaimer: This FAQ is provided for informational purposes only. Candidates should refer to the Glendale Municipal Code Chapter 1.10 for specifics and FPPC regulations and Form 460 for reporting requirements.



Campaign Finance & Contribution FAQs:

  • Does the City of Glendale have campaign contribution limits?
    Yes. In July, 2008, the City Council enacted an ordinance establishing local election campaign regulations. These regulations may be reviewed in their entirety in § 1.10 of the GMC. More questions related to this can be found below in our Campaign Finance FAQ section below.

  • Are there penalties for purposefully contributing more than the $1,140 maximum contribution?
    Yes, anyone who knowingly or willfully violates Glendale’s campaign contribution law may be charged with a misdemeanor and may be punished with up to six (6) months in jail or fined up to $1,000.00 for each offense. The City Attorney can bring a lawsuit against anyone who intentionally or negligently violates Glendale’s campaign contribution law, and can pursue either $1,140.00 or three times the amount in excess of the maximum $1,140.00 contribution, whichever is greater.

    Additional information regarding local election campaign regulations may be found in the Glendale Municipal Code Section 1.10 or by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at 818-548-2090.

  • If I host a party for a candidate at my house, is that considered a contribution?
    As long as your home is being used for a fundraiser, to host a “meet-and-greet”, or to hold a forum, it will not be considered a contribution and will not affect your ability to donate $1,140.00. Also, any incidental food and beverage served at your home during this type of event shall not be considered a campaign contribution for purposes of the City’s campaign finance ordinance.

  • Can I make a loan to a candidate for office?
    Yes, but it is considered a contribution and is limited to $1,140.00 per candidate. There is, however, no limit on the amount a candidate may personally loan his or her campaign provided the loan is documented in writing. Any loan to a campaign, including personal loans, must be documented by written agreement which shall be filed with the candidate’s committee campaign statement.

    Commercial lending institutions are permitted to lend a campaign up to $5,000.00 if made in the regular course of business on the same terms available to members of the public and provided the loan is secured or guaranteed.

  • If I am a member in a partnership or corporation, is my contribution separate from the partnership’s contribution?
    They would be considered separate so long as you don’t have a controlling interest of 50% or more in the partnership.
  • If I run two separate entities, can we make two $1,140 contributions?
    Two entities are limited to one $1,140.00 contribution if they share the majority of members of board of directors, share two (2) or more officers, are owned or controlled by the same majority stakeholder or stakeholders, or are in a parent subsidiary relationship.

  • If I run a committee, can the committee donate to my candidate of choice?
    Yes, the maximum combined contribution by the committee and you as sponsor of the committee may not exceed $1,140.00.

  • Can I make a contribution for my child?
    Yes, you can! However, if your child is under eighteen (18) years of age, the contribution will be treated as coming from his or her parents and will be attributed proportionally to each parent. If you were to donate $500.00 for your minor child, $250.00 would be considered from you, and $250.00 would be considered from the child’s other parent. The $250.00 attributed to you would count against your $1,140.00 maximum campaign contribution, and so you would only be able to donate another $890.00 to this candidate.

  • If my spouse and I each want to contribute, how much can we each give?
    For purposes of campaign contributions, spouses are considered separate individuals and may each donate up to $1,140.00 per candidate. If you each wanted to donate the maximum to your favorite candidate for office, together you can donate a total of $2,280.00.

  • How much can I contribute overall during each election cycle?
    You may donate up to $1,140 per candidate, up to a maximum of $1,140 multiplied by the number of candidates. The maximum per candidate is still $1,140.

  • How much can I contribute to my favorite candidate?
    You cannot contribute more than $1,140 to any one candidate. This includes both monetary and non-monetary contributions. Volunteer hours, however, are not subject to any limitation.

  • Can I donate money to the campaign of a candidate for office in a City of Glendale election?
    Yes! Anyone (other than a City of Glendale employee) can donate money to a campaign for City elected office. However, you cannot donate to a candidate for City elective office in Glendale if you (or an entity in which you hold a specified management position or in which you have a 10% or greater interest) have a contract or multiple contracts with the City of Glendale with a total value of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00) or more. Also, you cannot make a contribution if you are a specified subcontractor under a City contract where the subcontract is valued at $25,000 or more. Further, you cannot make campaign contributions if you are an applicant for specific land use entitlements before the City Council or Housing Authority, while your application is pending and up to twelve (12) months after the final approval has been granted. Please refer to GMC § 1.10.060 for applicable restrictions on contributions from contractors, subcontractors and applicants for entitlement, and those persons within said entities to which these restrictions apply.

Voters & Voting FAQs:

  • When are elections held in the City of Glendale?
    The next City election will be held March 03, 2020. Voters will elect three Council members, one City Clerk, one City Treasurer, one member to the Glendale Unified School District Governing Board representing Trustee Areas A & E, and one member to the Glendale Community College Board of Trustees representing Trustee Area 1 & 5. In addition to these offices, there may be additional items such as measures, initiatives, or charter amendments placed on the ballot pending their approval for consideration and placement on the March ballot.

  • On Election Day, how and where do I vote?

    In accordance with the California Voter Participation Rights Act (SB 415), elections for the City of Glendale, GUSD Board of Education, and GCC Board of Trustees will be held on a statewide election day in 2020, March 3rd. Furthermore, after the passage of Measure P by Glendale voters in 2018, elections will be consolidated with Los Angeles County.

    Elections will have important changes. First, “vote centers” instead of “precincts” will be used. Secondly, the new VSAP (voting system for all people) will be implemented. These changes together will bring a new voting experience for Glendale residents.

    Until election day, the Glendale City Clerk’s office will host community events, outreach, and other informational efforts to make sure Glendale voters are aware of the upcoming changes.

    For more information about elections, please visit the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s website here.

  • How do I get to be a registered voter in Glendale?
    Any Glendale resident who is 18 years of age and a citizen of the United States or naturalized citizen can register to vote by completing an Affidavit of Registration. It is recommended you file a new form each time your address or name changes, and you must be registered at least 15 days prior to the election in which you intend to vote. Check the Registrar of Voters website for further information. Registration forms are available at the following locations:

    City of Glendale
    Office of the City Clerk & Election Services

    613 E. Broadway, Rm. 110
    Glendale, CA 91206
    City Clerk Website

    L.A. Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
    Voter Records Division

    12400 Imperial Hwy
    Norwalk, CA 90650

  • Online Voter Registration: Visit CA Secretary of State’s website to learn more.
  • Who is responsible for conducting City elections?
    The City Clerk conducts consolidated elections for the City of Glendale, the Glendale Unified School District Governing Board, and the Glendale Community College Board of Trustees. As an Elections Official, the City Clerk administers Federal, State and Local procedures by which local government representatives are elected.

    From Election pre-planning to certification of election results and filing of final campaign disclosure documents, the City Clerk manages the process which forms the foundation of our democratic system of government.

  • What is the deadline to mail a Vote-By-Mail Ballot?

    With the passage of SB 29, as of January 1, 2015, if a vote-by-mail (VBM) ballot is postmarked on or before Election Day (March 3, 2020) and arrives to the City election office via the United States Postal Service or a bona fide private mail delivery company no later than three days, (March 6, 2020) after the election, it will be processed for count. (California Election Code 4103 b. 1&2) 

Candidates FAQs:

  • What do I need to do to become a candidate for the next City election?
    To become a candidate in the next city election, you must first be a registered voter and reside in the jurisdiction within which you want to run (City of Glendale, Glendale Community College/Glendale Unified School District) at the time nomination forms are issued to you. Nomination forms are available on November 12, 2019. The final day to file the requisite forms is December 3, 2019 unless otherwise stated by the City Clerk’s office.

  • Where do I get the required forms to start a campaign committee?
    You may obtain the required forms in the City Clerk's Office, 613 E. Broadway, Room 110, or you may download the forms available through the Secretary of State or Fair Political Practices Commission websites.

  • What forms do I need to start a campaign committee?
    • Form 501 - Candidate Intention Statement: Before any contributions are solicited or received, and before any campaign expenditures are made from personal funds, candidates must file Form 501. Candidates for local offices file this form with the City Clerk. The Form 501 is considered filed when it is placed in the mail. The date of the postmark is the date filed.
    • Form 410 - Statement of Organization: The original Form 410 and one copy are filed with the Secretary of State within 10 days of receiving $2,000 or more. Candidates for local office and committees formed to support or oppose candidates for local offices also must file a copy of the Form 410 with the City Clerk.

  • When can I obtain the required forms to be a candidate for the March 03, 2020 election?
    All required forms and guidelines to run for office in the March 3, 2020 election will be available in the City Clerk’s Office starting November 12, 2019. Candidates must file all of the required documents with the City Clerk no later than 5:30 p.m. on December 3, 2019. There may be a five day extension for a specific seat if an incumbent does not file by the deadline. An Election Calendar will be made available on-line to assist you with filing deadlines and documents.

  • Where do I get election results? How long does it take to count the ballots?
    At 8:00 p.m. on Election Day, the polls close. All ballots from the polls are taken to a designated site at the Civic Center (called the Central Counting Place), where they are counted by a ballot counting machine. Ballot counting continues until all ballots received from the polls are tallied.

    The (unofficial) results are given to the media and those individuals present at the Central Counting Place. These results will be available on the City of Glendale website on election night. In addition, these results, along with vote-by-mail voter and provisional ballots, constitute the "official" canvass and are presented to the City Council for approval on Thursday, April 2, 2020 (Report to Council Calling for Election, 11/01/16).